Service Automation allows for real-time Location management. Adding, editing or removing Location information takes effect as soon as changes are saved.
Location information is divided into the following categories:
- Location Details: Manage the location’s ID, name, region, district and address; the Open and Closed Dates for the location; and contact information.
- Location Notes: Manage additional information about the location, as related to the Note Headers. See Adding Location Notes Information for more details.
- Attachments: A repository for location-related documents, such as floor plans. See Managing Attachments for a Location for more information.
- Wiki: A free-form text box to store additional location information, such as elevator codes or landlord information. See Managing the Wiki for a Location for more information.
- Provider Assignments: Manage which service providers are assigned to which trades for the selected location. See Managing Provider Assignments for a Location for more details.
Adding a Location
Each location to which you wish to dispatch repair and preventive maintenance work orders must exist in Service Automation.
- Each location must have a Location ID, Location Name, Location Address (including city, state, and zip code) and an Open Date in order to start dispatching work orders.
- All other information is not mandatory in order to dispatch work orders; however, the best practice is to enter all information about each location for more effective and efficient work order management, reporting and analytics.
- The Information section lists the location ID and name, region and district information, address, and GPS information for use with the GPS Check-In App for Service Providers. In particular, the Regional and District information will help you manage locations at regional or district levels. For example, you may use regional or district information to help you set up HVAC winter preparation in cold regions earlier, or to coordinate cleanup efforts for coastal locations after a hurricane.
- The Status section lists the Open and Closed dates for a location:
- The Open Date indicates when the location is open for business. You may still generate work orders for the location before it actually opens. For example, you may choose to dispatch and manage work orders during construction of a new location.
- Conversely, the Closed Date is when the location is no longer open for business. Again, you may still generate work orders after this date. Note that to stop billing for a location you must also retire all of your providers. See Closing a Location, below.
- The Contact section allows you, as well as the Service Provider, to view who is responsible for that location from a work order perspective.
While adding a location, you may also add location note information, attachments, wiki information, and provider assignments.
How to Add a Location
- On the Location list page, click Add New Location. The Location Details page appears.
- Under the Information area, enter a Location ID and Location Name, as well as any other pertinent information.
- Under the Status area, enter the Location’s Open Date.
- Under the Contact area, enter the contact information of the main person for that Location.
- Click Save Location Details. The Clone Provider Assignments overlay window appears. (For the first Location setup, see Note below.)
- Note: When adding your very first location you will not be prompted to Clone Provider Assignments, as there are no other Locations from which you can clone.
Editing Location Details
When necessary you may edit location information at anytime; all changes take effect immediately, once saved.
How to edit Location Details
- On the Location list, click either the Location ID or the Location Name. The Location Details page appears.
- Edit any data under the Information, Status, or Contact areas, as necessary.
- Click Save Location Details. A green bar appears, indicating the details were saved.
- Either click Close on the top-right of the page to exit, or click the appropriate tabs to add location note information, attachments,wiki information, or provider assignments.
Note: Entering a Close Date will disallow you from dispatching work orders for that location. See Closing or Deleting a Location, below.
Closing a Location
There may be situations when a physical location closes, and you no longer wish to dispatch work orders for that location. In order to fully close the location in Service Automation, you must enter a Closed Date for the Location and retire all providers. Doing this will:
- stop the system from generating and dispatching work orders to service providers; and
- stop ServiceChannel from billing your company for managing work orders through that location.
How to close a Location:
- On the Location Details page, click the Provider Assignments tab to ensure all providers are retired.
- Click the Details tab, and then enter a Closed Date.
- Click Save Location Details. A green bar appears, indicating the details were saved; the Location Snapshot lists the location as Closed.
- Click Close on the top-right of the page to exit.
Note: On the Locations page, the location may not appear if the Exclude Closed Locations box is checked. Uncheck this box to see the closed location in the list.
Deleting a Location
You may delete a location as long as there are no work orders dispatched from that location. Once a work order is generated for a location, that location cannot be deleted. In situations where a Location has closed, edit the Location Details and enter the Closed Date of the location instead.
Note: You must first retire all providers for a location before deleting it.
How to delete a Location
- On the Location Details page, click Delete Location. A confirmation box appears.
- Click Delete. The page will reload and display the Locations list.